The first images I think of when someone says Queensland holiday is white pants, hot pink and Kerri-Anne Kennerley. What I don’t think of is plush luxurious hotel rooms, rooftop pools and fabulous shopping. Thankfully, the emporium hotel located in ‘the valley’ in Brisbane manages to combine a little bit of both. You can be forgiven thinking that this is another flashy ‘gold coast stereotype’ hotel as the entrance is a visual overload of bright red, gold and shiny everything. Honestly, arriving at the hotel makes me feel like I am hungover and need to put on sunglasses to check in. However, once we get to our room we are pleasantly surprised with the elegant design and sleek finishes to the room. The giant king sized bed and pillow menu makes for a very comfortable stay, and the large bathrooms are a godsend for this girls trip as there is no need to compete for space.
Things I love about the Emporium hotel
– Rooftop pool – in a city of endless humidity, a pool is an essential hotel feature. When it is on the roof, surrounded by lounge chairs and serviced by the cocktail bar, it is freakin awesome.
– Location – designer shops such as Jean Brown are located next door to the hotel, which is either a fantastic thing, or a very dangerous thing. And it is in walking distance from an array of cheap and cheerful eateries and entertainment venues. We caught a Ryan Adams gig at the Tivoli and enjoyed our stroll home in the balmy weather.
– King sized bed – The bed was so large and roomy I barely knew that my friend and i were sharing the bed, thus we managed to avoid any awkward spooning moments.
– The novelty of pay tv is never wasted on me. We got addicted to ‘Gok’s fashion fix’, and I dare you to switch off once you have watched more than two episodes back to back.
Things I dislike about the Emporium Hotel
– Nothing! perhaps it wouldn’t be so convenient if it was a work trip, but for a girls weekend it is the perfect mix of luxury, fashion and convenience.
Emporium Hotel – 1000 Ann Street, Fortitude Valley, QLD